Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Upcoming Workshop

On Sunday I registered for an upcoming workshop at Manassas Clay. Kevin Crowe, a well known and inspiring potter, will be teaching a lucky few of us to broaden our horizons and create pottery we might never have realized we are capable of. That's what I've heard, anyway. I have my doubts about my capacity to learn and perform such stunning feats, but I'm game to try. The workshop will be over the course of two days, a Saturday and Sunday. I have pottery class late on Sundays, so it will be a pottering weekend (yay!).
I will of course try to take pictures during the workshop, and I certainly hope to be able to share the results with you. From his website: "Kevin produces wood-fired functional stoneware with strong Asian and English roots. His work ranges from 4” teabowls to 48” vases. Kevin's pots are fired in a 450 cu. ft., 3 chamber combination anagama and noborigama kiln. Firings last 4 days, consuming approximately 5 cords of wood and firing 1200-1500 pots. The kiln is fired twice a year."
I am enamored with his artist statement, part of which is "Making pots will be an act of civil disobedience."
So, my fellow local potters, if you are available the weekend of March 13-14, I highly encourage you to join me for the Kevin Crowe workshop at Manassas Clay! I understand there are a few spots open, but space is limited, so you'll have to be quick!
In the meantime, I encourage you to check out his website, which is where I found these images of his pots. He is also on Etsy as TyeRiverPottery.
Wish me luck, and keep your eyes peeled for posts on how the workshop goes, and whether any of my pieces are worth writing home about!

No comments: