Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Historic Enlightenment

I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to lighting options. I'm becoming more discerning as time goes on, and I want to understand the fundamentals and nuances of lighting a room well. I haven't quite reached that level of enlightenment yet. I think that in addition to standard overhead lighting and tall, standing torchier lighting, table lamps seem to be an important element to the layers of light in a room. I think I have mentioned before that I have bought items from the Thomas Jefferson Foundation's Monticello Catalog. All purchases help support their dual mission of preservation and education. I have a particular fondness for Mr. Th. Jeff, as he was an upstanding Founding Father from Virginia and was an alum of my college. He was also redheaded. I've admired this onion bottle lamp (above) for a few years now. But today I got an email saying they're having a sale on lighting, and there were a bunch of other cool lamps I hadn't run across yet. I love the colors on the bronze jade lamp above.
This tea canister lamp (above) just makes me happy. I love anything remniscent of old pots, and this ginger jar lamp (below) fits that bill.
So if you're in the market for historic-inspired home decor, check out the Monticello Catalog. If you specifically want lamps, use this code at checkout to get 10% off: LT0310. Apparently the code is good through March 8th. (I have no affiliation with Monticello, just a fondness for the historical figure who lived there and an appreciation for historic preservation. Plus they have some cool home decor, and I love their historic plants.)

No comments: