Sunday, April 11, 2010

Variation on a Theme

I recently made one of my wall pots, but once it was leather hard, I didn't punch two holes in the neck. I went a little crazy and instead attached three handles. Then I figured I should add little divots in them as if they were attached that way. Feeling I wasn't quite finished, I carved a chunk out of the shoulder between each of the three handles, and added a divot for flourish.
I decided to sign it towards the bottom of one of the handles, and when it was time to glaze the piece, I opted to glaze over the signature and date. You can still see it peeking through the weathered bronze glaze above. Once it came home, I laced polished hemp through the handles and added a few vintage wooden beads. I think it came out with sort of a Greek flair, don't you? Almost as if it could have been unearthed from an archaeological dig. I may continue to play with more variations on my wall pot theme.

No comments: