Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Out There

Lately I've been creating some really strange pieces in between my standard forms. I made a vase for raku, and when it was done, it looked like a fish to me. So I added eyes and fins.
Then I figured it needed a stopper. So I made another fish.
Now the big fish has a little fish in his mouth.
But the fish are not nearly as out there as this next piece I've been working on. It's a watering can with half a handle, with teacups attached.
The teacups also have pieces missing.
I'm not sure what its ultimate use will be; maybe as a planter, or even a fountain?
I painted the entire watering can with red underglaze, and I carved overlapping squares into the clay, exposing the natural color.
I made one full teacup that is detached from the watering can, and underglazed the inside red to match.
I also painted the bottom red. Why not? I'm hoping that the red doesn't burn off the pieces in the kiln.
This may become known as a "period" within my pottery career, but I won't hazard a guess as to what art historians would call it.

1 comment:

threeoldkeys said...

you are awesome crazy.