Sunday, September 13, 2009

Souvenirs from the Outer Banks

I bought this stained glass window from a small antique shop specializing in antique stained glass windows - The Elegant Attic in Buxton, North Carolina. The owner was a charming lady named Shirley Weeks who gave me a tour of her home adjacent to the shop to learn more about stained glass. I was looking for a more colorful window, but this bird and branch spoke to me. She told me that the window dated back to the early 1900s and that it is from England. I may hang it in the window in our foyer - pictures will follow when I do hang it. Branch detail
Bird detail
I bought these goblets at a pottery studio called Red Drum Pottery in Frisco, North Carolina. I liked the glaze, but what fascinated me was that they tinkle when you move them. When I first picked one up, I thought I had broken it and was turning it looking for the part that fell off. But I realized that something in the stem was rolling around, and as I checked the other goblets, they all made the same noise.
I also really loved the glaze on this lidded jar.
I believe I also brought home more than my body weight in sea shells - pictures to follow.

3 comments:

Diary of a Madd Weekly Painter said...

You have great taste-lovely stained glass. I still have a load of shells from my last beach trip-a hundred yrs. ago. You'll have fun, creating w/them.

loneweever said...

What an understated and beautiful stained glass window.

Some designers, crafters, artists know when to quit.

Less is more!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Sarah and I'm with Dwellable. I was looking for blog posts about the Outer Banks to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Sarah